Tuesday 20 March 2018

A day in Edinburgh



Its all over, after weeks of saving and planning and stressing and fussing, I made it to Edinburgh and back all by my little self, well nearly all by my self, I was lucky enough to bump in to some one I had met several times, on the train heading up so I had some company which distracted me from most of my worries and I got to meet up with another friend who I had not seen in a long time at the other side which was great! It was a nice start to the day. Also meant we all shared a taxi to the venue so I didn't have to faff with buses, which is always a bonus.
As luck would have it, the snow held off, beast from the east part two didn't hit our side of the country much and Edinburgh hardly at all, apart from it being bitterly cold, but hey thats no worry when you are heading to a yarn festival, decked out in your best woolly fineries! I was very glad however when I arrived at the Corn Exchange that there was no queue to get in at all, so I was able to get in to the warmth and not stand about in the cold, wool hat or not! I was also lucky enough to meet several people from one of my facebook groups, always nice to put faces to names and it made me feel like I had friends, never a bad thing
It was time to shop, woo! Its very different wandering round on my own, no one whinging and moaning at me, saying they are hungry or tired or bored, and thats just my husband 😂 I had to tell myself at one point to slow down, there was no rush, I had 5 hours to wander and enjoy. And even then I ended up just sitting in the marquee enjoying the peace for a good hour! Of course I hit up all my favourite stalls, wollmeise being the ultimate one for me, I wanted to take it all home! Yarn is definitely my happy place.

My haul you say? Well those of a nervous disposition should look away now...


Its actually not too bad, all the top row is wollmeise, I was like a kid in a sweet shop, finding all the colours I have lusted after online and just piling them up!
I bought yet more Knitting goddess minis with some black yarn to contrast them, despite the fact I have an almost identical set at home, but there was a new pattern book out and I wanted the ones I had at home to do some from the last pattern book, and now there was a new one.. I couldn't help it, in my defence they are a difference wool blend!
The bright neon yarn on the bottom left is a new yarn to me from Coop Knits, never had their yarn before but that bundle drew me across the stalls, 5 x 50g neon skeins of yarn with special set of stitch markers? Sign me up! I see a shawl in their future..
The green/purple one in the bottom middle is from the ever lovely easyknitter, I am a long time fan of Jon's yarn, and he is always so lovely, as is his husband Roy, I get a hug and a chat, they asked after my kids, we discussed an upcoming club, its always a pleasure to visit that stall.
And last but not least the grey yarn from Mothy and the Squid, I had seen this yarn online, its hard to tell from this picture but it is grey but covered in tiny rainbow neps (little fluff flecks), which just makes this a cute addition to my stash, far too nice for socks tho, will have to think of some thing suitable to make with it.
The not yarn things are some bendy blocking wires to help me block my more curvy shawls instead of having to try and pin out a curve, pattern book from knitting goddess, some nice big buttons for my serged dream coat, and some brass rings to make dorset buttons from, which seems like an odd purchase but they were well priced compared to what I have seen online!



Before long it was time to leave, I made sure I gave my self plenty of time to get back for my train, and I was glad I did considering the maze that Waverley station feels like! I only took a couple of pictures to "prove" I had been there and if you look very closely you can see the snow coming down, thankfully it didn't amount to much, and indeed by the time I arrived back home, Wigan had had far more snow that I had seen all day, makes a change! Will I do it again next year? Perhaps! Although it is yarn dale in September hehe.

And yes, it is meant to be my second hexipuff week, I am doing them already? No, but tomorrow is another day!
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment